Volunteers are an integral part of fulfilling Frederick Living’s mission to provide a continuum of high-quality housing, health care and personal services for older adults. Volunteers give the much appreciated “extras” to our residents on a one-to-one basis as well as in group settings.
- Intergenerational programs
- Office support
- Gift shop attendants
- Recreation department activities
- Share your hobby or special interest
- Accompany on group outings and shopping trips
What do our volunteers do?
- Read to residents
- Person to person visits
- Transport to in-house activities, beauty shop, and Sunday services
- Take residents for walks
- Share musical skills-instrumental, vocal
- Play games with residents
- Present programs on your hobbies, travel, or special interests
- Listen to the resident’s stories
- Gain possible skills for future employment
- Assist recreation staff with special events
- Assist with arts and crafts
- Assist a quilting group
Who can be a volunteer?
Individuals over 14 years of age may volunteer at Frederick Living. Younger children may be involved as well, through group programs with adult supervision, such as Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, church and school groups. There is NO MAXIMUM age to volunteer at Frederick Living! We need you to be dependable, enthusiastic, and able to show love and compassion to others. Volunteers are required to initially have a two step PPD (tuberculosis test) which is offered at Frederick Living free of charge, criminal background check, and a required training session for all volunteers in the spring of each year.
What are the benefits of being a volunteer?
- Opportunity to meet new people
- Learn new skills that may advance future employment
- Use your special knowledge and skills
- Become part of a caring team
- Give back to your community
- Experience joy in helping others
- Utilize your leisure time and reduce loneliness and isolation
- Feel useful and needed
- Change your routine
- Experience personal satisfaction in sharing your life with others
- Make a difference in someone’s life!
How do I become a volunteer at Frederick Living?
If you are interested in volunteering at Frederick Living, you can fill out the online application, email us at gro.g1519267844nivil1519267844kcire1519267844derf@1519267844sreet1519267844nulov1519267844 or call 610-754-7878 and ask for Susan Reitsma at extension 109. After a short application process, every volunteer is given orientation, a tour of the campus, and specific training for the task. A special recognition event is held annually to thank those who give of their time and talents.